Simon: Mend, Cover ProgressionPosted: April 21, 2011
I premiered a new Simon short form comic at Stumptown this past weekend. This slideshow is a brief look at the evolution of the cover from thumbnails to final version
I started with thumbnail images (first two images) which I actually blew up and printed, then folded with paper in the middle as a mock-up. I find that holding the image in book form in your hands is the best way to figure out what is working and what isn’t. I showed it to some folks to get varied opinions (illustrators, graphic design folks, filmmakers… man I love working at an art school). I still think it changed a lot once I started drawing.
Next was pencilling (oops, no picture. Sorry about that). Even though this is only half of a head, I drew the whole head, to make sure proportions were accurate. Then, I looked at it just as the half face and changed some of the placements, actually distorting it slightly. Strangely, sometimes a half face looks better when proportions are NOT perfect. Go figure.
Then, on to inking. Again, I inked most of this with my brushes. This one kinda inked itself.
Scanning followed. I’ll do another post on my backwards scanning techniques. But here’s a little insight… advice be damned, I scan as a grayscale image, not a bitmap as many comic artists do.
All Coloring was done in photoshop. I use a wacom tablet/pen to aid in this process. Between images 3-4 you’ll see a little thing I tried with Simon’s eyelid, but ended up leaving it in the original form in the end. For the sections with color (well, not b/w) I do a lot of tweaking with layers and opacity. You can see some of this in images 4-5. I created the halftone dots through trial & error with the filter in photoshop. I had about 3 variations (again, no pictures. Sorry) but ended up with what you see at the end.
This was a pretty basic run through. Next time I’ll have a thorough look at how I use photoshop for cleanup of my black and white pages for GARY.